- Business License Information
- Business Listing
- Passport Services
- Yard Sales
- Other Information
- Renew a Business License
Business License Information
The Fontana Municipal Code requires all businesses operating (not necessarily located) within the City to be properly licensed as well as in accordance with the standards for Planning (zoning), Building and Safety, and Public Health.
The following fees/taxes must be paid at the time the application is submitted:
- Initial Application Fee $35 ($15 renewal fee annually thereafter)
- Annual Business Tax (based on estimated annual gross receipts, with some exceptions)
The above fees apply to the majority of business types located in Fontana. However, there are certain types of businesses (i.e., used car dealers, restaurants, liquor stores) that require supplementary permits and the submission of additional documents, information and/or applications.
Application and Approval Process
- All completed Business License / Tax Certificate applications are submitted to the Business Services Division along with the appropriate fees and/or taxes. Click here to apply for a Business License.
- Upon review, the application is forwarded to the following departments for review:
- Planning Division for zoning compliance
- Building and Safety Division or an on-site inspection of the building and determination of conformance with the building regulations of the City
- Public Health
- Police Department (only applicable for certain types of business)
- If further action is required by any of the above departments, you will need to immediately respond to any and all such matters identified by the above-named departments.
- Upon receipt of the Building Division approval, the application is then forwarded to the Business License Division for final processing.
The process outlined above applies to most businesses physically located in the City. There are, however, certain types of businesses that may require additional inspections and/or investigation.
Depending upon the type of business that is to be conducted and assuming complete compliance with all codes, the entire business license approval process should be completed within two to three weeks.
Renew a Business License Online
Forms and Publications
If there are any questions regarding this process, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
The City of Fontana is a business-friendly community. Information acquired through this business license search feature is intended as a public service and contains public information only. The City does not endorse or vouch for the accuracy of the information contained in this database as the information is "self-reported" by individual businesses.
Locate a business by:
- Address - Find a business by looking up all or part of its address.
- Name - Find a business by looking up all or part of its name.
- Type - Find a business by the type of work it does.
If you have any questions on Business Licenses, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
The City of Fontana’s passport services are no longer provided.
For passport information, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 / 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) or visit:
As of today, June 9, 2020, the following passport acceptance facilities are open. For information on availability, please contact each office.
|Paul A. Biane Library|
12505 Cultural Center Dr.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739
|Rubidoux Post Office|
8082 Limonite Blvd., Suite 1
Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
|Guasti Post Office|
323 N. Turner Ave.
Guasti, CA 91743
7368 Archibald Ave.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
|Eastvale City Hall|
12363 Limonite Ave.
Eastvale, CA 91752
|City of Ontario City Hall|
303 East B St.
Ontario, CA 91764
|San Bernardino Post Office|
1900 W. Redlands Blvd.
San Bernardino, CA 92403
|Riverside Main Post Office|
4150 Chicago Ave.
Riverside, CA 92507
|Norco Post Office|
1801 Town And Country Dr.
Norco, CA 92860
|Upland Post Office|
333 E. Arrow Hwy.
Upland, CA 91785
|Montclair Post Office|
5186 Benito St.
Montclair, CA 91763
10275 Hole Ave.
Riverside, CA 92503
|Claremont Post Office|
140 Harvard Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
|Colton Post Office|
265 N. 7th Ave.
Colton, CA 92324
City of Fontana Ordinance 1653 provides residents with the ability to hold yard and garage sales up to four times per year on the first full weekends (Friday through Sunday) in February, May, August and November.
Yard Sale Permits
Yard Sale Permits are no longer required as long as the yard sales and garage sales are on the specified dates:
- February 7, 8, and 9, 2020
May 1, 2, and 3, 2020Cancelled
- August 7, 8, and 9, 2020
- November 6, 7, and 8, 2020
- Due to Covid-19 we ask that you wear a mask or face covering and maintain social distance.
Holding a yard sale on any day other than the above dates is an infraction and subject to graduated penalties with each successive violation as stipulated in the Fontana Municipal Code, Ordinance 1653.
Click to view the yard sale permits in Spanish.
Click to apply for Emergency Yard Sale Permit.
For additional information, contact the City of Fontana at (909) 350-7679
Important contact numbers and links
|Accounts Receivable / miscellaneous billing||(909) 350-7683|
|Animal licenses||(909) 350-6565|
|Business license information||(909) 350-7675|
|Franchise services||(909) 350-7600|
|Passport services||(909) 350-7635|
|Sewer billing||(909) 350-7670|
|Yard sales||(909) 350-7679|
If you have any questions, please call (909) 350-7679.